Re: fingerings

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: fingerings
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 18:55:40 +0100

Noeck <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 28.11.2012 21:42, schrieb Eluze:
>> try
>>
>> { c'' d''-4  \parenthesize -4 e'' a c''-4 }
>>
>> Eluze
>
> Why does that work at all? I would have excpected that the (4) and the
> 4 is printed on the d''. Why can you write fingerings before the note?

It is more a long-standing bug than anything else.  At some point of
time it will cease working.  It only works here because the parser fails
to realize that \tweak actually returns an articulation here: \tweak
could equally well return a proper standalone music expression.  Since
the untweaked expression would cause a syntax error, it does not really
make sense that the tweaked expression "works".

It would actually be pretty easy to deliver a warning or an error right
now for this kind of misuse, and it probably makes sense doing this
before people feel this is some sort of feature and start depending on
it.

The only question is: warning or error?  I tend towards the latter.

--
David Kastrup