Re: measures per system

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: measures per system
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 17:40:26 -0600

Hi Kieren,

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:20 PM, David Nalesnik
<address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

> I could change the engraver so that you could specify the list in your
> example like so:
>
> '(4 5 4 6 (200) 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 (10000000000))
>
> with the meaning that elements in further parentheses have
> 'line-break-permission set to 'allow (the default, which lets LilyPond
> make her aesthetic decisions), and the other elements have
> 'line-break-permission set to #f and 'force at the breakpoints.
> Therefore, you would be assured of getting exactly 4, 5, 4, 6 bars,
> with the understanding that you could leave the parentheses off of 200
> and create something nasty.  But I suppose the point of a
> bars-per-line-engraver is the freedom to do just that.

I've been experimenting with implementing the above, but so far I'm
unable to set 'line-break-permission to #f within the engraver without
getting errors (though there's no problem setting it in a \context
block).

In the interests of making the user interface friendlier, I added a
feature for specifying repeats.  You can now write something like
this:

 \consists #(bars-per-line-engraver '(5 7*5 1 3*3))

instead of

\consists #(bars-per-line-engraver '(5 7 7 7 7 7 1 3 3 3))

I don't know if there could be potential issues using the asterisk,
since it's reserved for rhythmic input..  If there is, I could use
another character, or do something like:

'(7 (7 . 5) 1 (3 . 3))

though I rather like the asterisks.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

-David