Re: placement of objects

From: james
Subject: Re: placement of objects
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 22:03:53 +0100

On Dec 2, 2012, at 9:54 PM, Christopher Brooks wrote:

I am having trouble understand which items can be places one after another, and which can’t;

This works:

<<
  \new ChordNames {
    \chordmode {
      c1:aug
  {
    <c e gis>1
  }

c d e

<<
  \new ChordNames {
    \chordmode {
      fis:aug
  {
    <fis ais d>
  }

And so does this:

<<
  \new ChordNames {
    \chordmode {
      c1:aug
  {
    <c e gis>1
  }

\mark "pause"

<<
  \new ChordNames {
    \chordmode {
      fis:aug
  {
    <fis ais d>
  }

But this DOESN’T

<<
  \new ChordNames {
    \chordmode {
      c1:aug
  {
    <c e gis>1
  }

\markup {pause}

<<
  \new ChordNames {
    \chordmode {
      fis:aug
  {
    <fis ais d>
  }

What am I missing here?

This is actually a rather complicated question, and the answer is far more complex than you probably actually realize. Section 3.1 of the learning manual explains certain aspects of this, but it's assumed at that point that everything preceeding it (sections 2 and 1) have already been read and understood. (music expressions, both simple and compound are explained there, as well as other things which you're using, but not fully understanding.) If you want to succeed in notating music with lilypond, I would highly recommend you take an hour or so and read through the learning manual. Then, when you don't understand something, you'll be much better equipped to ask questions that will get you answers that you can understand and use.