Re: Marks above and below simultaneously

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Marks above and below simultaneously
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 01:05:03 +0100

2012/12/5 Daniel Rosen <address@hidden>:
> Bump. Can anyone help me with this?
[...]
> OK, I think I've mostly figured this out:
>
> \version "2.16.1"
>
> marks = {
>   \tempo "Tempo"
>   s1 \mark \default
> }
>
> \new Score <<
>   \new Staff <<
>     \new Voice { c''1 c'' }
>     \new Voice { \marks }
>   >>
>   \new Dynamics \with {
>     \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver"
>     \consists "Mark_engraver"
>   } { \marks }
>>>

> The only problem now is that metronome mark is aligned with the start of the
> music instead of the time signature. I'm guessing this has something to do
> with the fact that it's in a Dynamics context--can someone tell me how to fix
> it?
[...]

Hi Daniel,

It has nothing to do with the Dynamicscontext.

Have a look at IR 3.1.70 MetronomeMark
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/internals-big-page#metronomemark
There you can find the property called
'break-align-symbols with the vaalue '(time-signature)
The description says:

"A list of symbols that determine which break-aligned grobs to align
this to. If the grob selected by the first symbol in the list is
invisible due to break-visibility, we will align to the next grob (and
so on)."

Should be clear now, why the MetronomeMark of the Dynamics isn't
aligned to the TimeSignature:
Because there is none.

Hackish workaround: insert the "Time_signature_engraver" into Dynamics
and set the TimeSignature-stencil to point-stencil.

\version "2.16.1"

marks = {
  \tempo "Tempo"
  s1 \mark \default
}

\new Score <<
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice { c''1 c'' }
    \new Voice { \marks }

  \new Dynamics \with {
    \consists "Metronome_mark_engraver"
    \consists "Mark_engraver"
    \consists "Time_signature_engraver"
    \override TimeSignature #'stencil = #point-stencil
  } { \marks }

HTH,
  Harm