Re: chord length in beats

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: chord length in beats
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 02:01:21 +0100

2012/12/6 Eluze <address@hidden>:
> vector wrote
>> Hi all,
>> many thanks to Glen for his reply to my previous post(simple chords only
>> template). Im working my way thru that at the moment.
>> I have a question tho how do I tell it the number of bars to hold the
>> chord for?
>>
>> progChords = \relative c {
>>    \hideNotes
>>    f1 bes f c bes f' bes f c f bes f g c bes c f c
>> }
>>

>> if I make it f1 f f f bes and use the \set chordChanges = ##t  I get the
>> desired output. that is four bars of F followed by Bb. The F text has
>> been removed from the 2,3,4 bar. Perfect
>>
>> My question is tho, is there a better way to script this? that is having
>> to write four f s. Writing it out the long way my song would be written as
>> f1 f f f bes2 f f1 c bes f f bes f c f bes f g c bes c c f c
>>
>> I can use the bes2 to get Bb for 2 beats then F for 2 more (completes
>> the bar) then f1 puts it back 1 chord per bar.. I just cant see anywhere
>> how to tell it I want F for four bars or even 16 beats.
>
> it's a pity you don't show the whole code you're using - we might directly
> point to where it could be improved or simplified.
>
> just an idea:
>
> could you use /\repeat unfold 4 f1/ ?
>
> Eluze
>

> --

Try one of the following possibilities:

\version "2.16.1"
progChordsI = \chordmode { f1*7 c1 }
progChordsII = \chordmode { \set chordChanges = ##t \repeat unfold 7 { f1 } c1 }
<<
\new ChordNames \progChordsI
\new Staff { \repeat unfold 7 { f'1 } c'' }
\new ChordNames \progChordsII
\new Staff { \repeat unfold 7 { f'1 } c'' }

-Harm