Re: new and context

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: new and context
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2012 00:58:05 +0100

Am 07.12.2012 00:24, schrieb Trevor Daniels:

> Joram Berger wrote Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:56 PM
>
>> Am 06.12.2012 23:51, schrieb Trevor Daniels:
>>>
>>> Noeck wrote

>>> Have a look.  You can see the LilyPond grammar in Appendix C
>>> of the Notation Reference.
>>>
>>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/lilypond-grammar
>>>
>>> Trevor
>>>

>> I stumbled upon that graph several times, but I never understood what it
>> should tell me, not even a little part of it (besides that the numbers
>> are probably line numbers).
>
> It's the LilyPond grammar as extracted from the input to Bison (somewhat
> simplified).   Bison generates the parser which then implements this grammar.
>
> You need to understand this grammar in order to see whether any suggested
> changes to the LilyPond language syntax can work sensibly.
>
> Trevor

Ok, that I know, but what do the symbols mean? Is that any standardized
syntax language? From your mail I guess it is called Bison and I googled
a bit and will have a look at this:
www.gnu.org/software/bison/manual

It would be nice to have some description or a link to GNU Bison on this
page:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/lilypond-grammar
Because without any reference, I doubt that anyone not knowing Bison can
understand it.

Thanks for the hint,
Joram