How to cross-staff beam different length notes in a chord.

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: How to cross-staff beam different length notes in a chord.
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 11:03:09 +0100

Hello all,

Thanks for those of you who tried to help me with some choral music issues a few weeks ago. I've encountered a new problem where I'm hoping someone might have a suggestion that is useful.

I am working with a nineteenth century piece by Gottschalk. It has frequent passages like this:

I'm using Lilypond 2.16.0 and am looking for how to handle the cross staff beaming in the chord in the first beat where the top note is a 2 and the others are 4s.

My minimal example is this:

top = { \change Staff = "top" }
bottom = { \change Staff = "bottom" }

staffPiano = \new PianoStaff {
\set PianoStaff.instrumentName = #"Piano"
\time 3/4
<<
\context Staff = "top" {
\clef treble
\key b \major
\relative c' {
<< { \stemUp fis2 } \\ { \bottom \stemUp  <fis, b dis>4 \top \stemNeutral <fis'' b dis>8_"m.g." b,8\rest <cisis, gis'>4 } \\ { \tiny d'''8\rest \ottava #1 \stemUp dis32 fis32 dis32 fis,32 \ottava #0 b4\rest fis4\rest | } >> |
\context Staff = "bottom" {
\clef bass
\key b \major
\relative c, {
\stemDown <b b'>2^\p^"   Ben marcato e sostenuto il canto" <eis' b'>4 |

Which produces this:

More or less what I want (there are some issues with vertical spacing on the text I need to fix), except that I don't see how to connect the two bits as shown in the original.

This following seems relevant: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets/chords#chords-cross_002dstaff-chords-_002d-beaming-problems-workaround

But I'm having trouble seeing how to fit it with my example.

Most of the other examples don't deal with cross-staff issues, just merging stems from chords and notes of different lengths. Here is a simpler example:

But it isn't obvious to me how to do this either.

Any suggestions?

-Arle Lommel