Re: How to join rests?

From: Werner
Subject: Re: How to join rests?
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 21:24:06 +0000 (UTC)

Werner <mey.wer <at> web.de> writes:

> see answer

Hello.

When two voices (in one staff) both have rests of the same duration, is there an
easy way to join these rests?
I searched the lilypond-docs and didn't find an answer to that old question.
For two voices in g-clef it is possible to write

 <<
 { a8 g a4 b \rest a | }
 //
 { f8 e f4 b \rest f | }

right?

But for two reasons*) I would prefer something like

 \joinRests
 <<
 { a8 g a4 r a | }
 //
 { f8 e f4 r f | }

*)
1. if transposing or changing the clef the rest is no more in the middle of the
staff
2. its to much to write

btw. in the docs, I didnt find much about rests at all (at least in the german
version, which I studied today (and btw. there is used the word "Bindebogen" in
opposite to "Legatobogen". I would call that "Haltebogen" while I would
understand "Bindebogen" and "Legatobogen" synonym.))

Thanks for a hint.

greetings

Werner