Re: new and context

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: new and context
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 22:02:17 +0000 (UTC)

Trevor Daniels <t.daniels <at> treda.co.uk> writes:

> Joram Berger wrote Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:56 PM
>
> > Am 06.12.2012 23:51, schrieb Trevor Daniels:
> >>
> >> Have a look.  You can see the LilyPond grammar in Appendix C
> >> of the Notation Reference.
> >>
> >> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/lilypond-grammar
> >
> > I stumbled upon that graph several times, but I never understood what it
> > should tell me, not even a little part of it

> Only developers would be expected to
> understand this appendix, so maybe it should be moved to the
> Contributor's Guide

Moving it to Contributors Guide, or removing it entirely, would be sensible.

Clean languages like C and Pascal have human-readable grammars, and the
canonical books on these languages (Wirth, and Kernigha&Ritchies) print
these grammars in exactly the form we see in the LilyPond manual.

LilyPond's grammar, however, is complex due to history and its complex
job.  It is twice the length of that for C or Pascal, and growing.  I have
tried to use the printed grammar to understand LilyPond, but never succeeded.