Re: Programming error message

From: Phil Burfitt
Subject: Re: Programming error message
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:14:10 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith OHara" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2012 12:06 AM

Eluze <eluzew <at> gmail.com> writes:

Phil Burfitt wrote

> programming error: cannot evaluate "head-separation-default" in module

> I had previously been running 2.13.17 without any problems until I > decided > to update to 2.17.7 (first uninstalling 2.13.17) a few weeks back. This > is
> when the errors appeared.

I can't reproduce that (I have w7) - can you run this batch as a
command-line-command and maybe add -V(verbose) and then copy the whole log!?

I looked up "head-separation-default" in the code. It was formerly used in
'paper-defaults-init.ly' but had been unused for a while, then completely
removed by version 2.13.40

Somehow, your simple scores are referring to variables from an old version
of Lilypond. Maybe you have an old copy of 'paper-defaults-init.ly' in the directory holding your scores ? (If you have files with the same names as LilyPond's startup files, stored with your score, she will think you want to
use your custom versions instead of the files that came with lilypond.)

If that is the problem, probably adding -drelative-includes=#t to your
batch file will solve it.
(And tell us, however you do solve it.)

Thank you to you and Eluze for your help....

Turns out the problem was caused by Windows Vista ownerships (and a pain that is). Although I am the only user on my computer, and with administrative privileges, I'm not the administator. When I was using 2.13.17 I made an entry in the paper-alist in paper.scm for a Kindle paper size. Uninstalling that version of lilypond didn't remove paper.scm (different ownership) and it remained invisible to all but a few text editors - which was how I discovered it. Installing a later version of lilypond produced two copies of paper.scm (with different ownerships) and every time I ran lilypond it would run the older version of paper.scm. Deleting the older copy of paper.scm solved the problem.

Sorry for the noise.

Regards,
Phil.