minimal-breaking page breaking algorithm fails

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: minimal-breaking page breaking algorithm fails
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 22:19:15 -0500

Hi all,

In the docs, it says “The ly:minimal-breaking function performs minimal
computations to calculate the page breaking: it fills a page with as many
systems as possible before moving to the next one.”

This does not seem to be the case.

It would be difficult to provide a minimal example, but the fact that it isn't
working as documented is clear from the current score I'm working on:
1. It's 28 pages long, and most systems are 1-, 2-, or 3-stave systems (it's a
vocal book for a musical).
2. When ragged-bottom and ragged-last-bottom are both ##t, the gap at the
bottom of p1 is almost big enough to hold the top 2 systems on p2.
3. This pattern [of having more than enough room on the bottom of a given page
to handle 1-2 of the systems from the next page] is seen throughout the score,
though not on every single page break.

Can anyone explain what the algorithm is supposed to be doing, or guess why it
might be failing for me?
(I've noticed this behaviour since at least 2.17.1 and almost certainly
earlier, but I've been too busy to post a question about it until now.)

Thanks,
Kieren.