Re: minimal-breaking page breaking algorithm fails

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: minimal-breaking page breaking algorithm fails
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 05:14:42 +0000 (UTC)

Nick Payne <nick.payne <at> internode.on.net> writes:

> if you change ragged-bottom and ragged-last-bottom to
> ##t, the console outputs two identical warnings: "warning: cannot fit
> music on page: ragged-spacing was requested, but page was compressed",
> and the output is now over three pages, with four systems on the third page.

Well, that is working as intended.  The usual page-breaker will squeeze the
staves rather than use an extra page.  The minimal-page-breaker will put as
many staves on a page as fit with their natural spacing, and never look back.

Now I realize that the documentation is missing that detail: "minimal-page-
breaking fills a page with as many systems as possible [with their natural
spacing] before moving to the next one"

The warning is a bit silly.  I think we want "ragged-bottom=#t" to fill pages
as much as possible within estimation error (given that there is some
estimation error) and if it underestimated the height and has to squeeze a
bit, I don't want a warning.