Tweaking notehead direction in chords

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Tweaking notehead direction in chords
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 20:37:44 +0100

I've been looking for how to tweak the direction of noteheads within chords.
I've got a few instances where Lilypond’s default isn't as clear as when I flip
the direction of some of the noteheads. I've searched the repository and tried
various tweaks using direction, but nothing seems to matter. I'm sure it's
easy, but I can't find it.

As a minimal example, consider this chord:

<e fis ais cis>4

The default is to have the e face left and the other heads face right, but in
the piece I am reproducing the e faces right and the fis faces left. Doing it
this way, as per the old engraver, increases the white space between the
noteheads and increases legibility.

Any guidance on how to achieve this? If there is an easy way, I would suggest
adding it to the LSR as well, since this is a basic sort of tweak that others
must surely need, but which doesn't seem to be easy to find.

Best,

Arle