Re: Music teachers happy to hear about LilyPond

From: Noeck
Subject: Re: Music teachers happy to hear about LilyPond
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 22:28:23 +0100

Hi again,

some more thoughts that came up during the preparation of this teachers’
meeting:

- The LilyPond website could be a bit more enthusiastic about the
features of LilyPond. Many proprietary programs have a shiny *list of*
*features* with images on their site and LilyPond could attract more
users by the fact that almost everything is possible. I hear quite often
from new LilyPond users: "Is this possible with LilyPond?" (And most
often it concerns the most basic features you can think of.)
The examples page is quite nice but could be enhanced nonetheless. Like
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/changes-big-page
but not only the changes and less technical.
For me it is the first thing I want to know from a previously unknown
software: What can I do with it? What are the features?

- *Mutopia* is often referenced as a showcase. The idea and the starting
point is good but LilyPond can do much better by now and many examples
on mutopia lack the quality that could be achieved with LilyPond.

- Presentation *slides* that introduce LilyPond could be shared.

Still happy that this software is appreciated,
Joram