Re: help with overrides - SOLVED

From: ed stuckems
Subject: Re: help with overrides - SOLVED
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 23:02:23 -0500

Nathan:

Thanks, your response is exactly what I was looking for.

See below for more comments...

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Nathan <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:31 PM, ed stuckems <address@hidden> wrote:
<snip>
>> (1) in a piano staff context, we'd like to increase the space between
>> the two staves comprising the piano staff.  I think I need to target
>> the staff-staff-spacing or the staffgroup-staff-spacing properties of
>> StaffGrouper.  I tried the following code but it had no effect:
>>
>>   \new PianoStaff \with {
>>     staff-staff-spacing = #'((basic-distance . 9) (minimum-distance .
>> 7) (padding . 1) (stretchability . 50))
>>     staffgroup-staff-spacing = #'((basic-distance . 10.5)
>> (minimum-distance . 8) (padding . 1) (stretchability . 50))
>>
>> }
>
> This seems to work:
>
> \score {
>   \new PianoStaff \with {
>     \override StaffGrouper #'staff-staff-spacing #'basic-distance = #20
>   } <<
>     \new Staff { \clef treble c'4 }
>     \new Staff { \clef bass c'4 }
>   >>
>   \layout { }
> }

That's perfect, it does work.  I guess my problem was I don't know how
to interpret the Internal Reference document.  It seems to list that
there are 3 properties/values a for staff-staff-spacing (and my syntax
was all wrong!).  The syntax is in chapter 4 of the tutorial.

>> (2) Here's a snippet of code that we'd like to amend to change
>> lilypond's default behaviour.  The result of this code is to place the
>> fingering below the fermata and above the staff.  I'd like to have the
>> fingering placed above fermata.  I've looked through the IR and
>> couldn't find the property(ies) to make the change.
>>
>>  { \relative c' <e g c>1\fermata^2^3^5 }
>
> You can get around this by overriding the script-priority property:
>
> {
>   \once \override Script #'script-priority = #0
>   \relative c' <e g c>1\fermata^2^3^5
> }
>
> See this LSR snippet: http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=447

Perfect.  This does exactly what I want.

I actually saw the snippet but I don't understand how I identify
something as either a Script or a TextScript.  From your solution, it
appears that the \fermata is a 'Script'.

thanks,
eds