Re: Displaying string number above fingering

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Displaying string number above fingering
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:01:48 +0000 (UTC)

Eluze <eluzew <at> gmail.com> writes:

> maybe this could be merged into
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2830

That issue is about fingering and string numbers inside chord brackets <>,
documenting how the order of input works together with script-priority

    <d-1\2>8( <e-\thumb\1> <d-1\2>)
    <b-2\1>( <a-\thumb\2> <g-1\3>)

articulations coming earlier in the input are printed closer to the note.

The irregular behavior Oliver sees occurs when there is no <> chord
indication.

I think it is a separate bug, but I am confused right now.  There are two or
three separate pieces of code setting fingerings and scripts according to
different combinations of rules, some similar to what Nick posted just now.
(Too many people write new code without looking at the existing code first.)

What we see here is the string numbers are being set as if they were inside
a chord <> and getting shifted based on the staff-position of their note-heads
-- the step for putting chord fingerings in the right order.
The fingerings don't get this shift, as for them LilyPond realizes they are
set on single notes.

Then there is the problem \thumb is different than other fingerings...

It seems if we give Fingerings and StringNumbers different script-priorities
by default, as David suggested, it would render a lot of this (buggy) code moot.