Re: Lilypond in Mac OS X Terminal

From: Eric Pancer
Subject: Re: Lilypond in Mac OS X Terminal
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:38:54 -0600

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:32 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Dec 12, 2012, at 9:31 AM, Parham FH <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I am curious if it is possible to run lilypond from the Mac OS X
>>> (my case: 10.6.8) terminal
>>
>> Instructions are here:
>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/web/macos-x
>>
>> "Running on the command-line"
>
> Stupid question: why would one create executable shims to something like
> DIR/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/* in ~/bin and then add ~/bin to
> one's PATH when one can just add
> DIR/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ instead?  Is DIR expected to
> contain stuff that is bad for PATH?

Or, another way to approach the matter.... is there an easier way to
register ".ly" file extensions so that one can just do the following?

$ open -a LilyPond example.ly

I've already configured my machine to always open that file extension
with LilyPond.app, but if there's an easier way to do it, maybe it's
more idiomatic for Mac users.

- Eric