Re: Lilypond in Mac OS X Terminal

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Lilypond in Mac OS X Terminal
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 11:03:56 -0500

On Dec 12, 2012, at 10:32 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Paul Morris <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Dec 12, 2012, at 9:31 AM, Parham FH <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I am curious if it is possible to run lilypond from the Mac OS X
>>> (my case: 10.6.8) terminal
>>
>> Instructions are here:
>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/web/macos-x
>>
>> "Running on the command-line"
>
> Stupid question: why would one create executable shims to something like
> DIR/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/* in ~/bin and then add ~/bin to
> one's PATH when one can just add
> DIR/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/ instead?  Is DIR expected to
> contain stuff that is bad for PATH?

I have no idea, as I am pretty unfamiliar with using the command-line.  I tried
to follow those instructions recently (to try the png output) but was not able
to get it to run.  There did seem to be more steps than I would have thought.
I'm hoping to get together with a friend of mine who is experienced with unix
on the mac to help me get it working.

-Paul