Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond

From: Eric Pancer
Subject: Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:49:49 -0600

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Eric Pancer <address@hidden> wrote:
> While writing some conga exercises (for four drums) in Lilypond, I've
> found I can get by using the following notes*:
>  - bd (super tumba)
>  - toml (tumba)
>  - sn (conga)
>
> However, I'm looking for a 4th pitch to notate a quinto (high drum)
> and would like to use E6 (4th space in treble clef). Since there's no
> standard notehead for that in
> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Percussion-notes>,
> could someone please advise on how to change my file to redefine the
> pitch with the correct notehead?

I've got this working using the following definition:

#(define mydrums '(
(bassdrum  default   #f  -3)
(snare        default   #f    0)
(hihat         default     #f  1)
(lowtom     default   #f     3)))

Of course I don't exactly understand what the #f is, but do get the
numerical values are positions in the staff. A bit of explanation
could help me.

> Also, is there an easy way to make each pitch with an "x" (slap)?

I still don't understand how to do this. ^