Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 01:05:09 +0100

2012/12/12 Eric Pancer <address@hidden>:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Eric Pancer <address@hidden> wrote:
>> While writing some conga exercises (for four drums) in Lilypond, I've
>> found I can get by using the following notes*:
>>  - bd (super tumba)
>>  - toml (tumba)
>>  - sn (conga)
>>
>> However, I'm looking for a 4th pitch to notate a quinto (high drum)
>> and would like to use E6 (4th space in treble clef). Since there's no
>> standard notehead for that in
>> <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Percussion-notes>,
>> could someone please advise on how to change my file to redefine the
>> pitch with the correct notehead?
>
> I've got this working using the following definition:
>
> #(define mydrums '(
> (bassdrum  default   #f  -3)
> (snare        default   #f    0)
> (hihat         default     #f  1)
> (lowtom     default   #f     3)))
>
> Of course I don't exactly understand what the #f is, but do get the
> numerical values are positions in the staff. A bit of explanation
> could help me.

Every entry in your new list consists of the name, note-head,
use-which-script-sign? and staff-position.

>> Also, is there an easy way to make each pitch with an "x" (slap)?

I'm not sure what you want with the "x-slap". Below I've set the
NoteHead to cross and additional I've used some crazy script-signs to
demonstrate. I'm sure you'll want to alter them. :)

You could have a look in /ly/drumpitch-init.ly and in /scm/script.scm
for more info about the code.

\version "2.16.1"

#(define mydrums '(
                   (bassdrum  cross   "coda" -3)
                   (snare     cross   "upbow"   0)
                   (hihat     cross   "espressivo"   1)
                   (lowtom    cross   "reverseturn"   3)))

dr = \drummode { bd4 sn hh toml }

\new DrumStaff <<
  \set DrumStaff.drumStyleTable = #(alist->hash-table mydrums)
  \new DrumVoice \dr

HTH,
  Harm