Likely bug in 2.16.1: Changing document f onts messes lots of things up…

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Likely bug in 2.16.1: Changing document f onts messes lots of things up…
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 09:09:57 +0100

OK, one more issue (possible bug?) has arisen that I cannot diagnose. (Lilypond 2.16.1, Mac OS X 10.8.2)

I have followed instructions on how to change document fonts, as outlined at http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/fonts

But I find when I change the fonts that there are some undesirable side effects in *other* areas: Basically everything but the staff, note stems, and beams gets bigger, meaning more is crammed in the same space. Chords start to look like smears, note heads stick slightly past the stems, and time signatures and clefs stick outside the staff.

Here are side-by-side screen shots comparing the default output with the output when the font is changed:

And here is what happens to clefs and time signatures:

As can be seen, the difference is quite significant and it renders the use of other fonts effectively impossible. For the record, here is how I changed the fonts (per the link above):

\paper {
myStaffSize = #20
#(define fonts
(make-pango-font-tree "Minion Pro"
"Minion Pro"
"Minion Pro"
(/ myStaffSize 20)
))
}

(In this case I used Minion Pro for all sorts because my document only used the first type, not the sans-serif or typewriter styles, so I just set everything to one font.)

I have tried a number of different fonts of various types (OpenType PS, OpenTypeTTF, PS type 1, etc.) and this happens consistently for me regardless of the font chosen.

Anyone have any idea why changing the font does this and how I might be able to use a different text font without having this problem?

If this is not a bug (even though it sure looks like one), perhaps the documentation could be updated with an explanation on how to adjust for these sorts of problems.

-Arle