Re: Moving a staff closer to another one

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Re: Moving a staff closer to another one
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 19:50:30 +0100

I've moved sustain pedal articulations to a separate voice using spacers because they did not fit cleanly on the other voices. If I put the pedal voice in the left-hand it forces all the rests in the left-hand voice to sit a fifth higher. In addition the marks end up aligned all over the place, often by small offsets from each other to avoid other objects, and it looks *very* sloppy. By moving them to a separate staff I was able to keep the left-hand clean and also keep the pedal markings strictly and cleanly aligned. All I'd need to do to make it look right is move the staff with them closer to the other piano staff.

I'm open to other ways to achieve the effect.

Here's an example of the structure I'm using in parallelMusic:

%012
\tiny \stemUp c''4\rest c8\rest \ottava #1 cis'32 gis' cis, gis \ottava #0 c8\rest cis,32 gis' cis, gis | %righthand
\top r4 r4 <cis'' eis>4 _\mg | %lefthand
s2.\sustainOff | %pedal

I realize that there are other notes I could hang the pedal marks off, but often in this piece I have to use temporary polyphony and the \sustainOn point falls in a different voice than the \sustainOff, in which case the \sustainOff disappears in the output. Based on that a separate voice that I had better control over seemed the best approach.

The question is how to put it in the pedal markings in such a way that they look neat and that I can control them. A separate staff, except for the spacing, gives exactly what I'm looking for in terms of output.

Best,

-Arle