top posting (was: svg output)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: top posting (was: svg output)
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 23:29:56 +0100

Gerard McConnell <address@hidden> writes:

> By the way, I presume I'm "top-posting". I read somewhere that there's
> something wrong with doing that, but doesn't it allow whoever is
> following the thread to get the new material without having to go
> through the old material?

Why would you be leaving _unreferenced_ old material in your reply in
the first place?  If someone wants to have all the history, it can be
extracted from the mailing list archives and/or by the mail or news
reader easily enough using the reference headers.

There is no necessity for boring everybody with unrelated material over
and over again.  And it is extremely impolite if you are actually just
making a point related to a single sentence to let the reader sift
through a whole time-reversed conversation in order to figure out what
you are presumably talking about.

--
David Kastrup