Re: Short stems

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Short stems
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 02:11:33 +0000 (UTC)

Arle Lommel <fenevad <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have run into an odd little aesthetic issue. I'm finding that
> some eighth (or shorter) notes get stems that
> are too short when they stick out from the staff.

I see you have plenty of answers already, but if you use the list of values
that LilyPond uses internally

\relative c'' {
   \override Stem #'details #'stem-shorten =  #'(1.0 0.5)
   <d g b>16 \stemDown <d f, d> }

then you might comment on the recommendation for improvement here
 <http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2724>
which will probably prompt some action.

LilyPond's default is the list I typed above : shorten stems with zero flags
by 1.0 staffspace, stems with one-or-more flags by 0.5 staff space.
I guess you will like something closer to  #'(1.0 0.3 0.2)
where the extra entry is for stem with two-or-more flags