Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond

From: Eric Pancer
Subject: Re: 4-Drum Conga Notation in LilyPond
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:47:16 -0600

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Thomas Morley
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Is C6 considered "0"?
>
> Well, here I'm the one who is confused. I never heard "C6" and the
> others you mention below.

Apologies. "C5" is known as middle C. "C6" is the C in the third space
of treble clef. etc..

>> Thank you for the example. What I'm thinking is that I should just
>> define a whole new drum configuration since it would be easier to read
>> and write. I'd like to do the following: quinto (E6), conga (C6),
>> hitumba (A5), lotumba (F5) (with a generic "tumba" equal to
>> "hitumba"). I've patched
>> /Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/ly/drumpitch-init.ly
>> (see diff below),
>
> I would never change the internal files
> (apart from testings or to create a patch to be included in the source-code)
> for two reasons:
> 1)  The next upgrade will not contain it. You'll have to repeat it
> 2)  Noone will be able to compile your scores until he/she made the
> same changes.
>
> And you'll will get little help on the list.

I understand, but I was also going to submit it as a patch to
development since only have two conga pitches is very antiquated at
this point. However, that's a different issue.

>> but the following snippet only puts 4 quarter notes
>> in the middle line of a percussion staff:
>>
>> \new DrumStaff <<
>>   \drummode {
>>     quinto4 conga4 hitumba4 mutelotumba4
>>   }
>
> I didn't apply the diff so I can't say anything detailed to it.
> But: the LilyPond-extension-language is scheme.
> Why not use it as shown in my example?

I'm not sure how to apply what I'm trying to do using your example.
How do I make things like this work with your example:

(muteconga () "stopped" 1)

or

opentumba . ,(ly:make-pitch 0 -1 NATURAL))

Can I put that all in a new drum definition and have the corresponding
MIDI files generated properly?

Thank you, again.

- Eric