Re: Short stems

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Re: Short stems
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 07:54:28 +0100

then you might comment on the recommendation for improvement here
<http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=2724>
which will probably prompt some action.

I will look at that. See my note below: I think the default values are a problem.

LilyPond's default is the list I typed above : shorten stems with zero flags
by 1.0 staffspace, stems with one-or-more flags by 0.5 staff space.
I guess you will like something closer to  #'(1.0 0.3 0.2)
where the extra entry is for stem with two-or-more flags

After some experiment I ended up completely turning off shortening for eighth and shorter. Even the minimal values you supplied were leaving the flags colliding with note heads.

\override Stem #'details #'stem-shorten =  #'(1.0 0 0)

And that seems to resolve the issue. I'll have to play around with Harm's more involved solution as well and see what it offers me.

Thanks,

Arle