Re: Short stems [ATTENTION: INLINE IMAGES]

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Re: Short stems [ATTENTION: INLINE IMAGES]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:18:53 +0100

The score I am working from was printed in Boston in the 1860s. It was relatively clear, but the "corrected" version of 1874 was loaded with junk: pervasive fingerings, nonsensical slurs, seemingly random articulation marks. So much was loaded in that it looks like a rat's nest.

Thanks for pointing out the regional and temporal variations at work here. That tells me the Lilypond default isn't a bug. It is just a difference of aesthetic ideal and intention.

I suppose by developing some new fonts and changing some defaults that Lilypond could handle other styles as well, which is a nice testament to its design.

Best,

Arle

--
Arle Lommel
Berlin, Germany

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse any typos.