Grace note spacing and barcheck difficulty in bagpipe music

From: Ben Beeson
Subject: Grace note spacing and barcheck difficulty in bagpipe music
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 00:32:02 -0800

Hi,

I have been struggling with how to get harmonies to align with the main
line of a tune when inputting "seconds" for bagpipe music.  The goal is
to get the main tune on one staff with the seconds on a separate staff.
I also want the seconds aligned with the main tune in the other staff.
Most of the time this works the way it should in that you enter the
music and all is well. The problem occurs when one part of the tune
starts with a different length of grace note embellishment from the
other part.  For example, if the main tune has a doubling at the
beginning of a part and the second has only a grace note, then LilyPond
will split the doubling over the time signature, the leading bar, or
repeat symbol. Interestingly, I have only observed this effect at the
beginning of a part.  Varying grace notes from the main tune to the
second part does not effect other bars, just the first one in a part.
You can easily see this effect in the attached pictures.  If you want to
reproduce the effect, just comment out both cadenzas and then build the
example.

I have arrived at what produces the desired visual output by using a
cadenza to add some space before the troublesome spot, but that solution
errors on the barcheck.  The example LilyPond code produces the
following error when compiling:

Snippet_Spacing.ly:14:82: warning: barcheck failed at: 3/4G-3/32
                        \set Timing.measurePosition = #(ly:make-moment
23 32) s32

The error does not make sense to me as the math appears correct. I have
also noticed that sometimes this error will trigger on the ending bar of
the preceding part instead of where it triggers in this example.

I have tried skips and other tricks to try to get alignment of parts
correct, but they do not always work consistently from one example to
the other.  I looked on-line for related topics, but all I could find
was a note from 2008 about non-measured cadenzas causing timing errors.
This cadenza is measured, so I don't see how that applies.

If anyone has any ideas on an elegant solution to the note spacing
-alignment issue that also addresses the barcheck errors, I would be
very interested to learn those techniques.

Thanks in advance,

Ben