Re: Short stems [ATTENTION: INLINE IMAGES]

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Re: Short stems [ATTENTION: INLINE IMAGES]
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:31:04 +0100

…how can you be so sure that the LilyPond output wrong?

I'm not at all sure it is wrong, but as Werner points out, there were non-German traditions that Lilypond does not address. Since this comes from one of those and I am trying to represent the score in a nicer format that is still "true" to the original in some fashion, I want to make the change indicated.

The original image does not represent
quality engraving and cannot and should not be used as an example,
IMNSHO.  There are too many problems with it to take it as a standard.

I agree that it is far from perfect. At the same time there have been a number of aspects where I have found it clearer for this piece than the Lilypond default. I would not hold it up as a model for other things. Ultimately much of this is a matter of taste.

Of course, your feeling that there is something wrovng with the LilyPond
output could still hold, but we'd need more and esp. better examples.

I don't know that anything needs to change. I have my opinion and others have theirs. I would not presume to state that mine is the single correct one.

While you are free to change it in your own score, that's not even
recommended as long as we don't know what it should look like.

"Should" conceals a lot of assumptions :-)

The chord looks MUCH better to me

..yes...

and which is closer to the old engraving

...yes..., but this engraving, though possibly old, is not nice, or
does not look like any of the engravings we have been mimicking.

Again, I'm looking for something else then. That's ok I think.

Arle