Re: Best practices in lyric typesetting

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: Best practices in lyric typesetting
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:34:05 +1100

On 18 December 2012 20:19, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:04 AM
Subject: Best practices in lyric typesetting

Hey all,

Putting aside the impossibility of the attached exercise, you'll see that the lyrics stay shifted way down for the part of the attached example that moves to D major.

I can't imagine that anyone sightreading this would want to see the lyrics shifted down that much after the key change.  Is there a way to signal to the VerticalAxisGroup clumping Lyrics together that it should start a new vertical alignment section?  I can likely accomplish the same thing with \new Lyrics as well, but it'd be strange in the way I'm structuring the document.

Unless that type of thing appears heretic, in which case I'll just leave the lyrics as they are.

Cheers,
MS

>From Gould:

"A line of text should be parallel to the stave for the length of the system, and not be placed on different levels to accommodate notes below the stave".

This refers to lyrics.

--
Phil Holmes