Re: what's the most "efficient" way of doing this?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: what's the most "efficient" way of doing this?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 06:49:05 -0500

Hi Keith,

> Tempo indications and rehearsal marks should not take noticeable time.
> (I just tried removing all of them an saw no change outside noise, less that
> half-percent, in the time required to set a score.)

That's not quite my point. If my global variable has hundreds of other things
(time signatures, key signatures, overrides, etc.) then each of those,
ostensibly, is adding processing time in each MarksOnly context, when none of
them is needed to begin with. Said another way, it potentially takes time to
put them in AND take them out.

It seemed to me that it might be faster if they were never in there to begin
with, the time being saved multiple times over with multiple MarksOnly contexts
(e.g., one at the top of the score, one above the strings, and one below the
bottom of the score).

> What time does you score require with- and without rehearsal marks?

I haven't done any benchmarking myself yet — that's why I was inquiring on the
list. I just know that my larger scores are taking a long time (on the order of
10 minutes or more), and I would love to reduce that any way I can. If I have a
little time after the current pressure [of getting this two-act musical out the
door] is off, I'll do some specific benchmarking and report back to the list.

Thanks,
Kieren.