Re: Tuplet Ratios

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: Tuplet Ratios
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:19:21 +0100

On 12/18/2012 05:16 PM, carltesta wrote:
I am working on typesetting another composer's music. In their music they
prefer to notate a 5:4 tuplet (5 sixteenth notes in the space of 4 sixteenth
notes) as 5:1 (5 sixteenths in the space of 1 pulse (quarter note). Is it
possible change Lilypond's MIDI encoding so that if I write the tuplet as
5:1 that it will play it back as a 5:4? Instead of 5 sixteenth notes in the
space of 1 sixteenth note?

Can you be more specific about what you want to get visually? Do you actually want to see,

                 5 : [quarter-note]

where [quarter-note] would be replaced by an actual little quarter-note, or do they want to see the numerical ratio 5:1?

If it's the former, then these examples from the Lilypond Snippet Repository might be useful for you:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=482
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=817

If it's the latter, if he or she really wants the numerical ratio 5:1, then your composer is daft and should possibly be told so :-)