Re: Tying rest notes incorrectly ties succeeding normal notes?

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Tying rest notes incorrectly ties succeeding normal notes?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 10:04:28 -0800

Parham Fazelzadeh <address@hidden> writes:

> Yeah, it doesn't make sense to tie rests, you are right about that. But the
> behaviour was still unexpected, and unwanted, I would say.

In general, with LilyPond, unexpected input creates unexpected
output.

Often, if you input something that doesn't make sense, LP "tries very
hard" to force it to make sense - to do what you might have meant. If
bad input was simply ignored, then it would also be harder for you to
find the problem afterward - so it's actually a good thing that bad
input creates a messy score.

(Putting a tie between rests is an input mistake, plain and
simple. Don't do that. Problem solved.) :)

--
David R