Re: Resolving "cannot resolve rest collision: rest direction not set"war

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Resolving "cannot resolve rest collision: rest direction not set"warnings
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:50:26 -0000

Arle Lommel wrote Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:41 AM

> For what it is worth, all of the conflicts seem to be between the voices
> "ornamentsVoice" and "rightVoice," both of which often have simultaneous
> rests. The rests from rightVoice are placed automatically (and correctly) in
> the proper location, center-staff. The ones from ornamentsVoice I am
> manually positioning (intentionally, not because of the conflict).

<<
{ \new Voice="ossiaVoice" \relative c' { \ossia } }
\\
{ \new Voice="ornamentsVoice" \relative c' { \ornaments } }
\\
{ \new Voice="rightVoice" \relative c' { \set doubleSlurs = ##t \righthand } }

This construct implicitly assigns the properties of \voiceOne, \voiceTwo etc
in order to the several music expressions separated by \\.  These settings
control the direction of stems, placement of rests, shifts to resolve
collisions,
etc.  That is probably not what you want.  This is all explained in
section 1.5.3 of the Notation Reference:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/multiple-voices#single_002dstaff-polyphony

The particular error message is probably related to the way
you are positioning the rests in ornamentsVoice, but you don't
say how you are doing that.

Trevor