Re: Resolving "cannot resolve rest collision: rest direction not set"war

From: Arle Lommel
Subject: Re: Resolving "cannot resolve rest collision: rest direction not set"warnings
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:03:32 +0100

Here is a minimal (real) example of one measure that generates four warnings. As you can see the rests in the third voice are simply invoked as "r4" while the ones in the second voice are given explicit locations (which, again, I want to do in this case). (I realize the notation convention here is a bit strange, but the composer used these quasi-grace sorts of things to indicate his ornamentation, but he also gave them full musical time values and rests and so forth.)

\version "2.16.1"

\parallelMusic #'(ossia ornaments righthand lefthand pedal) {
  s2. |
  \tiny \stemUp c''4\rest c8\rest^\pp \ottava #1 d'32[ a' d, a] \ottava #0 c,8\rest d32[ a' d, a] |
  r4 r4 <d' fis>4 |
  s2. |
  s2. |
}

\score {
  \new StaffGroup
  <<
    \new PianoStaff
    <<
      \new Staff = "RH" {
        \clef treble
        \key d \major
        \time 3/4
        <<
          { \new Voice="ossiaVoice" \relative c' { \ossia } }
        \\
          { \new Voice="ornamentsVoice" \relative c' { \ornaments } }
        \\
          { \new Voice="rightVoice" \relative c' { \righthand } }

      }
      \new Staff = "LH" {
        \set doubleSlurs = ##t
        \clef bass
        \key d \major
        \time 3/4
        <<
          { \new Voice = "leftVoice" \relative c { \lefthand } }
          \new Dynamics = "dynamicsVoice" { \pedal }

I've looked at the link you shared Trevor, but the application to this issue isn't necessarily obvious to me, other than that it makes me wonder if I need to change the order I declare my voices in or something.

-Arle