Re: For those who need new features and bug fixes...

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: For those who need new features and bug fixes...
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 14:36:26 +0100

On 2012-12-22 07:18, address@hidden wrote:
That said, for musicxml, in easy pieces, you can just export MIDI to
musicxml.  There's a great tool http://web.mit.edu/music21/ that allows
for all sorts of importing/exporting.

That's like saying exporting a Word file to pdf is easy pieces: Just export to pure text and then run a2ps on it...

MusicXML is capable of handling the full page layout (including all positioning tweas) down to pixel-wise positioning (and even performance data, but that's not relevant for lilypond). Any MusicXML export of LilyPond that does not support the full page layout is probably missing out a huge opportunity for lilypond. After all, MusicXML is nowadays used by publishers to transfer the full score layout from one application to another.
Yes, but there already was some discussion on this list that it also makes sense to export the musical contents alone. Not because it is in any way superior, but because it is much easier to achieve. So it would be a good start to have at least this. The point is that publishers who don't accept lilypond files or pdf files but insist on Finale/Sibelius generally have their own style sheets they want to apply anyway. To be able to export my lilypond scores to something a publisher can import in Finale/Sibelius without substantial effort would make it feasible to prepare scores for such publishers and stick with lilypond at the same time. (And please don't reopen this discussion: We won't convince them easily, and they even have valid reasons (sadly enough))

Basically I think it's like this: At the moment LilyPond is a 'dead end' (i.e. if I have my score in that format I can only use it with LilyPond and don't change that again). Opening this up would be 'polite behaviour', possibly opening LilyPond for a wider user base (as a personal example, it could turn out that I have to quit LilyPond because of this issue, because in doubt I would have to decide for getting jobs and against my favorite software). And starting with a contents export (just processing the music stream) would make the step much smaller to start with this.

Best
Urs

Cheers,
Reinhold