Re: Grace notes and ties in multiple voices and staves

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Grace notes and ties in multiple voices and staves
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 22:45:59 +0100

On 2012-12-22 19:25, Alex Voice wrote:
I have been setting myself various tasks to see if I can use LilyPond to
its utmost, but some bars of Godowsky (an arrangement of Chopin for
piano left hand)
are stretching me too far for now, even though I am certain that
LilyPond can cope with them in some way.

Wow, that's really quite a piece to typeset! I find it particularly hard to determine how many voices to use...

I've put a PDF of this section of the printed music on Dropbox
(http://db.tt/TJmlsnCO) too and if anyone is able to explain how I might
exactly reproduce the start of bar 3 (with all its grace notes and ties
– aaargh) I should be very interested and very grateful! Someone will
make it look really easy, I'm sure!

See the attached lilypond code, which should reproduce this.

Are the first three sixteenth notes of that grace note meant to be a triplet? If so, all the grace commands need to be changed accordingly.

I've had a modicum of success in tweaking the positions of various
fingerings, though even here replicating the precise positioning of
fingerings in bar 1 (particularly in the fourth semiquaver beat) has
proved elusive for the moment.

It seems like positioning fingerings (and preventing collisions for them) is not really one of the strength of lilypond...

I tried to fix some of the fingering positions, but not all of them. You should get an idea how to do it, though.

Cheers,
Reinhold

Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886