Re: Grace notes and ties in multiple voices and staves

From: Alex Voice
Subject: Re: Grace notes and ties in multiple voices and staves
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 00:07:55 +0000

On 22/12/2012 21:45, "Reinhold Kainhofer" <address@hidden>
wrote:

>On 2012-12-22 19:25, Alex Voice wrote:
>> I have been setting myself various tasks to see if I can use LilyPond to
>> its utmost, but some bars of Godowsky (an arrangement of Chopin for
>> piano left hand) are stretching me too far for now, even though I am
>>certain that
>> LilyPond can cope with them in some way.
>
>Wow, that's really quite a piece to typeset! I find it particularly hard
>to determine how many voices to use...

I'm up to four in each hand (so far).

>Are the first three sixteenth notes of that grace note meant to be a
>triplet? If so, all the grace commands need to be changed accordingly.

It's not clear, unless that's what is indicated by the subdivided beam.

>It seems like positioning fingerings (and preventing collisions for
>them) is not really one of the strength of Lilypond ...

I shall continue to tweak the fingering - Xavier Scheuer has made bold and
instructive attempts at this also.

>I tried to fix some of the fingering positions, but not all of them. You
>should get an idea how to do it, though.
>
>Cheers,
>Reinhold
>
>--
>Reinhold Kainhofer, address@hidden, http://www.kainhofer.com
>  * Financial & Actuarial Math., Vienna Univ. of Technology, Austria
>  * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886
>  * Edition Kainhofer, Music Publisher, http://www.edition-kainhofer.com

Thank you so much - it will take me some time to go through it carefully
and work out how you've managed to get the various elements to cooperate
with each other, but I will have learned a lot!

Alex