Re: installing 2.16 and keeping 2.14?

From: martinwguy
Subject: Re: installing 2.16 and keeping 2.14?
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:31:38 +0100

On 23 December 2012 18:56, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've only 6 versions on my laptop.
> Most of them in my home-directory.
> To distuingish them, I renamed the folder and the programm (to be
> found in <folder-name>/usr/bin) and created shortcuts for the
> different programs.
> These shortcuts are per default found in /home/bin:
> among them `lilypond´.
> I pasted renamed files and changed the pathes.
>
> So I've
> the folder `lilypond-2-14-2´ containing the program `lilypond-2-14-2´
> to be called with `lilypond 2-14-2´
> the folder `lilypond´ (the current stable) containing the program
> `lilypond´ to be called with `lilypond´
> the folder `lilydevel´ (the latest devel-version) containing the
> grogram `lily-devel´ to be called with `lily-devel´
>
> There might be better methods but it works.

...or make "lilypond" a script that check the required version in the
.ly file and calls the appropriate one? That is the sort of solution
that something like Mutopia needs.

A lesser nightmare, requiring fewer versions, would be to have only
the latest minor version (2.X.Y) of each major version (2.X) and use
that for all previous minor versions.  Is it true that minor lilypond
versions are only bugfixes to the 2.X.1 release, without changing the
input syntax/semantics in a  non-backward-compatible way?