Re: installing 2.16 and keeping 2.14?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: installing 2.16 and keeping 2.14?
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:47:56 +0100

2012/12/23 martinwguy <address@hidden>:
> On 23 December 2012 18:56, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've only 6 versions on my laptop.
>> Most of them in my home-directory.
>> To distuingish them, I renamed the folder and the programm (to be
>> found in <folder-name>/usr/bin) and created shortcuts for the
>> different programs.
>> These shortcuts are per default found in /home/bin:
>> among them `lilypond´.
>> I pasted renamed files and changed the pathes.
>>
>> So I've
>> the folder `lilypond-2-14-2´ containing the program `lilypond-2-14-2´
>> to be called with `lilypond 2-14-2´
>> the folder `lilypond´ (the current stable) containing the program
>> `lilypond´ to be called with `lilypond´
>> the folder `lilydevel´ (the latest devel-version) containing the
>> grogram `lily-devel´ to be called with `lily-devel´
>>
>> There might be better methods but it works.
>
> ...or make "lilypond" a script that check the required version in the
> .ly file and calls the appropriate one?

I often need to check code with different versions.
Example: I use \version "2.12.3" in the file and test compiling with
different versions.
Or test convert-ly with it etc.
A script reading out the stated version would be of no help for me.
But it might be very helpful for others.
Not sure, but I think Frescobaldi has this too.

Cheers,
  Harm