Displaying "page x of y" in header / footer

From: Olivier Biot
Subject: Displaying "page x of y" in header / footer
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:04:11 +0100

Dear all,

I can't find how to display the total number of pages in a score as part of the page header / footer.

I tried adding a "theLastPage" label at the end of my score but it sometimes is off by one. I sadly cannot create a small snippet that reproduces the off-by one ("page 4 of 3") problem.

Placing a label outside the last score block yields an unresolved label and page reference.

For what it's worth, here's the stencil I'm currently using:

\paper {

oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line { \hspace #1 \concat { "page " \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string " of " \page-ref #'theLastPage "0" "?" } \hspace #1 }

}

evenHeaderMarkup = \oddHeaderMarkup

}

Any help is welcome.