Re: Objects as links

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Objects as links
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 18:34:11 +0100

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> I too am very interested in adding links to objects, but when I paste
> your example into lilypond version 2.16.0 I get syntax errors - is it
> specific to 2.17.9?

Yes.  That's one rather prominent extension of 2.17 (the previous syntax
will still work for the most important commands, but it is rather
surprising how fast the power users are forgetting its details, strongly
suggesting that the previous syntax was too complex for infrequent
users).

<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/changes/index.html>

The LilyPond syntax of dot-separated words Voice.Accidental has been
made interchangeable with #'(Voice Accidental), a Scheme list of
symbols. As one result, code like

    \override Voice.TextSpanner #'(bound-details left text) = "rit."

is now equivalent to

    \override Voice.TextSpanner bound-details.left.text = "rit."

or even

    \override #'(Voice TextSpanner) bound-details.left.text = "rit."

Grob and grob property path no longer need to be specified as two
separate arguments to commands like ‘\override’ and \revert, allowing
for the syntax

    \override Voice.TextSpanner.bound-details.left.text = "rit."

Since complementary music functions like ‘\overrideProperty’ cannot
support forms with and without separating space at the same time, using
a single dotted path is now the preferred form. Specifying grob path and
grob property path separately, currently still supported with
‘\override’ and ‘\revert’ for compatibility reasons, is deprecated.

Due to words now being accepted as symbol function arguments, the
interfaces of ‘\accidentalStyle’, ‘\alterBroken’, ‘\footnote’ and
‘\tweak’ had to be redesigned where optional symbol arguments were
involved. Please check the respective music function documentation for
details.

Several commands now accept symbol lists (conveniently entered as
dot-separated words) for various kinds of arguments. These include
‘\accidentalStyle’, ‘\alterBroken’, ‘\footnote’, ‘\hide’, ‘\omit’,
‘\overrideProperty’, ‘\shape’, and ‘\tweak’.

--
David Kastrup