Re: set override documentation

From: Francisco Vila
Subject: Re: set override documentation
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 11:07:49 +0100

2012/12/31 Noeck <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any situation where I can use both and it is an advantage that
> I can distinguish between them? Is there a difference for the user
> (exept that it is a different thing internally)?
>
> This page is a bit short:
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/set-versus-override
> This page tells me the difference:
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/overview-of-modifying-properties
> As long as there is no content on the first one, I would like to find
> the paragraph 5.3.1 here: 5.3.5. Because the first time, I overlooked
> 5.3.1 and after seeing 5.3.5 I thought there is no explanation of the
> difference.
>
> This also concerns the stable documentation:
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/set-versus-override

There is no content because the section has been commented out; now we
should fix that --it is prefixed by a TODO note. Here is the original
text:

[Documentation/notation/changing-defaults.itely]

@node set versus override
@subsection @code{\set} vs. @code{\override}

@c TODO -- This section is probably unnecessary now.

@ignore
We have seen two methods of changing properties: @code{\set} and
@code{\override}.  There are actually two different kinds of
properties.

@code{fontSize} is a special property: it is equivalent to
entering @code{\override ... #'font-size} for all pertinent
objects.  Since this is a common change, the special
property (modified with @code{\set}) was created.

@end ignore

--
The @ignore / @end ignore pair is what makes the text to be invisible.