Re: dynamics seperatate from the notes entry

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: dynamics seperatate from the notes entry
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:01:56 +0100 (CET)

Xavier Scheuer:
> On 31 December 2012 15:22, Karl Hammar <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  How do I merge Ds and Ms below so it will behave as if I wrote the
> > dynamics together with the notes?
> >
> > (snip)
> >
> > If I use << \Ms \\ \Ds >> the dynamics will come out to the left
> > (compared to the in the notes version), probably since the dynamics
> > are centered under the notes and a skip doesn't have a width (?).
>
> Hi,
>
> << \Ms \Ds >>  % without the "\\"
> will behave as if you wrote the dynamics together with the notes.

Same thing, the dynamics are centered under the left edge of the notes.

The attached example shows:

for \new Dynamics:
 the forte is squeesed between note and lyrics

for within the notes:
 p and f does not line up well

for << \Mb \Ds >>:
 the p and f are displaced to the left

for the markup version:
 s_\markup{ \dynamic f }\> becomes above each other

I think I like the \new Dynamics version best if I could get the same
space above and under the dynamics as for the within notes case.

Note, the hairpin ends in the same place.

> Which version are you using?
$ lilypond --version
GNU LilyPond 2.17.10

Switched today from

$ lilypond --version
GNU LilyPond 2.15.39

> There used to be an issue that made dynamics attached to spacer rests
> come out to the left (compared to attached directly to the notes),
> but it has been fixed in LilyPond version 2.15.24.
> https://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=1861

That example worked without a problem.

> Since current stable version is 2.16.1, you should not have
> encountered this issue, unless you are using a very old version.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148