Re: dynamics seperatate from the notes entry

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: dynamics seperatate from the notes entry
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2013 12:38:04 +0100

address@hidden (Karl Hammar) writes:

> Karl Hammar:
>> Xavier Scheuer:
>> > << \Ms \Ds >>  % without the "\\"
>> > will behave as if you wrote the dynamics together with the notes.
>>
>> Same thing, the dynamics are centered under the left edge of the notes.
>
> This looks like a bug.
>
> \version "2.17.10"
>
> Ms = \relative a' { c4 c c c | }
> Ds = \relative a' { s\p s s\f s | }
> Ma = \relative a' { c4\p c c\f c }
>
> \score {
>   <<
>     \new Staff \relative a' { c4\p c c\f c | << \Ms \Ds >> | }
>     \new Staff { \Ma | << \Ms \Ds >> | }
>   >>
> }
>
> The difference between above two staffs is that in the top staff
> the music is written out, and in the bottom the music comes from a
> variable.

Uh, no?  The difference is that in the top staff, there are isolated
note events starting an implicit Voice, while in the bottom staff, there
is no isolated event but rather a sequential music expression that gets
its _own_ \new Voice ending at the closing brace.  If you had written
wrote

{ { c4\p c c\f c } | << \Ms \Ds >> }

above, you'd have gotten the same.  Note that | is just a barcheck and
not an event starting (or maintaining) a new voice.  So \Ms starts its
own, new voice, and then \Ds does as well.

Of course, if you wrote \new Voice everywhere where you write \new Staff
now, LilyPond would have put everything into the same Voice either way.

--
David Kastrup