Re: dynamics seperatate from the notes entry

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: dynamics seperatate from the notes entry
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 12:04:10 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Hammar" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 11:35 AM

Yes, you can place the dynamics above the staff, but I don't really see the point of that. Now your forte collides with the tempo mark. And in choir notes it would only solve any potential collisions between dynamics and lyrics for
one staff only.

The point of doing it is that it's the correct way to do it. We singers like to have clear lyrics, since we need to assimilate them quickly when sight reading. Dynamics are less important - we get shouted at concerning the important ones and ignore the rest.

Gould, page 434: "Dynamics, expression marks and verbal instructions go above the stave in order to leave space below the stave clear for the sung text."

--
Phil Holmes