Re: footnotes and chord constructs

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: footnotes and chord constructs
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:22:08 +0100

Il 02/01/2013 09:52, David Kastrup ha scritto:
Federico Bruni<address@hidden>  writes:

It took me some time to understand the following:

\version "2.17.10"

\relative c'' {
   \footnote #'(2 . 4) "Footnote 1"<d-3>2 % it's not printed because
of the<>
   \footnote #'(2 . 4) "Footnote 2"  Stem<d-3>  % unless I specify Stem
}

IIUC, the grob-name *must* be specified when a footnote is attached to
a note enclosed in a chord construct.

Uh, no?

\relative c'' {
   <\footnote #'(2 . 4) "Footnote 1" d-3>2
}

works just fine.

Ooops, this option didn't come to my mind.

I'm reading NR 3.2.3 and in particular:

"""
Marking an entire chord in this manner is not possible since a chord
does not produce an event separate from that of its chord
constituents, but the constituents themselves can be marked.

If the layout object being footmarked is indirectly caused by an event
(like an Accidental or Stem caused by a NoteHead), an additional
symbol argument, the grob-name, is required before the footnote text:
"""

I'm not sure if this fully explain the "problem".
What do you think?

In the light of the above example working just fine, could you explain
how one should have written the NR so that you would have been able to
achieve what you wanted?

A simple warning saying that \footnote must be used inside a chord construct would have helped. I wouldn't give it for granted. Well, the example I quoted could have given me some hints, but, as you write below, its purpose is different (how to mark the consituents of a chord).

The second of the paragraphs you quoted is _not_, I repeat _not_
pertinent to the problem since it talks about a grob-name _before_ the
footnote text, not a grob name _instead_ of the music to footnotify.

This technique will work for, say, tweaking an accidental instead of a
notehead, but it will not carry through to the _inside_ of chords.

You either need to place your footnote _inside_ of the chord, _or_ you
need to use a time-based footnote in which case you can place it before
the chord, or even in parallel music in the same voice.