Re: Parenthesize slashed grace with fingering?

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Parenthesize slashed grace with fingering?
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 16:44:58 -0700

On 13-01-02 03:42 PM, Eluze wrote:
Colin Campbell-8 wrote
In transcribing some cello exercises, I need to show a slashed grace
note, with a fingering, in parentheses. The exercise involves shifting
between first and third position on the same string, so it emphasizes
the intermediate "target" position, with the intent that the grace note
gets eliminated as the shift gets smoother.  The following gives me all
I need except for the parentheses.  I'm a bit foggy from a virus, and I
cannot find the magic incantation which will show both the grace note
and the parenthesis. Using 2.17.10, by the way.
%<%<%<%<%<%<%<%<%<

e'2-1 ( \parenthesize \slashedGrace gs8-1 a2-2

%<%<%<%<%<%<%<%<%<

Any pointers to TFM or LSR gratefully received!
not sure you can find it in TFM but this awful construction seems to do what
you're looking for (note that the tweak comes /before / the grace note):

{
   e'2-1
   \parenthesize
   -\tweak ParenthesesItem.color #green
   -\tweak ParenthesesItem.font-size #5
   -1 \slashedGrace gs8
   a2 -2
}

personally I prefer this solution where you can write the tweaks after the
grace note (as usual) despite the fact that you have to put it in a chord:

{
   e'2-1 \slashedGrace {
     < gs
     -\tweak ParenthesesItem.color #green
     -\tweak ParenthesesItem.font-size #5
     \parenthesize -1
     >8
   }
   a2 -2
}

Eluze

Thanks for such a quick reply, Eluze! I regret that I couldn't get your code to work, as it complains about "unexpected postevent" after the \parenthesize. Also, I apologise for not including the closing ) of a slur in my original example, so the e to a was to be slurred, with the grace note as an intermediate step. Olivier Biot also suggested a solution which I managed to adapt, but I can see I have a lot of studying to do on the subject of tweaks and overrides!

Thanks again for your help, Eluze, and for all you contribute to the Lilypond community!

Cheers,
Colin

-- I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back. -Maya Angelou, poet (1928- )