Re: vertical line spacing of a markup

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: vertical line spacing of a markup
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 18:03:39 -0600

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Olivier,
>
>> There's one limitation though (and it does not feature in the
>> documentation): baseline-skip will find a compromise between the vertical
>> extent of text in the lines and the baseline-skip value, the bigger one
>> being used.
>
> This is just one side effect of Lilypond's flawed handling of text.
> Hopefully one day, we will have proper control of text (e.g., with *leading*
> control instead of "baseline"; with the baseline actually being the reference
> point; with simpler word-wrap and hyphenation behaviour; etc.).
>
>> There is probably a way to specify "strict" base line spacings, but I
>> haven't found it yet.
>
> If you ever find it, please tell me!  =)
>
> Cheers,
> Kieren.

Many of the markup commands which are affected by baseline-skip rely
on the procedure 'stack-lines' found in scm/stencil.scm.

In the attached file, I provide an alternate 'stack-lines' which will
produce the "strict" spacing I believe you are asking for.  It ignores
the heights of the lines when stacking them.  Thus, a baseline-skip of
0 would produce lines drawn directly on top of each other.

To use this redefined command with \justify, I needed to include the
definition of the latter (from scm/define-markup-commands.scm in the
.ly file.  (Otherwise, the redefinition won't have an effect.)

HTH,
David