Re: Syntax for make-dynamic-script

From: Colin Hall
Subject: Re: Syntax for make-dynamic-script
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 00:23:47 +0000

On Dec 26, 2012 10:49 AM, "David Kastrup" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Colin Hall <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > David Kastrup <dak <at> gnu.org> writes:

> > attached-to-notes#index-DynamicText

> >> I repeat: with the exact given examples in the manual, the location data
> >> is correct.
> >
> > Thanks for your help with this, David, it looks like
> > Richard is able to engrave his music.
> >
> > Could you give me some advice on forming a good
> > documentation enhancement tracker for
> > the "$(" syntax? Perhaps there's a description
> > in a commit that I can use.
>
> Well, I have been thinking a bit about it.  When using music via #...,
> the music really needs to be constructed for single use and not used
> somewhere else.  So it should be feasible to put location data on it
> like it is done for $...

I'm interested to document the existence of the $( syntax. There must have been a motivation. Could you point me to the relevant tracker, or mailing list thread, or provide a fresh  explanation. Feel free to be brief.

> So while one current difference in semantics between music entered via
> $... and #... is that the former gets location data (just like \xxx
> does) and the latter doesn't, we probably don't do people a favor by
> having this additional difference between $... and #...

Agreed.

> The question is how we actually want to be dealing with point-and-click
> and errors occuring from within #{ ... #}.  For syntax errors, it does
> not seem like anything but the location inside of #{ ... #} itself makes
> sense.  But the location data for music might make more sense to be
> associated with the text origin of the problematic construct.  Maybe we
> should assign a location only to music that does not yet have one?

A syntax error results from a user error in text-land. So link to the definition.

For other situations, link to the instantiation, I think.

Cheers,
Colin.